About Me

My photo
Belfast, Northern Ireland, Manila, Philippines, United Kingdom
Very simple person with a simple plan in life. A registered Philippine civil engineer, an urban/environmental planner, a lecturer/tutor; plays badminton, loves to swim, sing and dance; has the passion in drawing, writing reviews/poems and reading, and a photo enthusiast.

Saturday 13 October 2007

Al Gore, an inspiration to everyone

I was surprised to hear the news about the awardees for the Nobel Peace prize this year. Al Gore was chosen for this prestigious award, tying with the prize is an Indian IPCC Chairman, R. Pachauri.


In particular, the efforts of the former VP (US) paved the way after the release of his documentary film in 2006 and the book with the same title, An Incovenient Truth which tackles the present environmental issue on global warming. Unfortunately, I was not able to watch the film on widescreen but I bought a DVD copy of it but to date I dont have any idea what's in there. Maybe this weekend I will have it a go. However, I have the copy of the book which I quickly browsed it to find out why Mr Gore won the two Oscars.

Honestly, I was not impressed with the overall packaging of this 325 pages' book. The lay-out of the book is very ordinary (as a children's book) and the quality of the images are not professionally done. In terms of content, I think it covered the relevant aspect of global warming in a way that everyone could understand it, including with statistics. It is designed as a 'table book' style with no table of contents!

Something to remember as quoted from the book:
"We have everything we need to begin solving this crisis, with the possible exception of the will to act" - Al Gore (2006)

It is worth mentioning that IPCC Chairman Rajendra Pachauri is my close friend's boss. My friend is also currently pursuing his PhD in Northern Ireland. IPCC is an organisation that serves as a think tank to policymakers on climate change.

No comments: